An interview with Katie Read, LMFT about what it means to be a Therapreneur and the frequent mistakes that therapists make when writing their websites. Curt and Katie interviewed Katie about the unique challenges for therapist marketing and how to use Motivational Interviewing to improve your website.
It’s time to reimagine therapy and what it means to be a therapist. We are human beings who can now present ourselves as whole people, with authenticity, purpose, and connection. Especially now, when therapists must develop a personal brand to market their practices.
To support you as a whole person and a therapist, your hosts, Curt Widhalm and Katie Vernoy talk about how to approach the role of therapist in the modern age.
Interview with Katie Read, LMFT
Katie Read, LMFT, helps therapists grow…then OUTgrow…their practices! Katie helps clinicians overcome scarcity-mindset, get clear on their most meaningful work, create highly-converting websites, and create additional income streams in coaching, consulting, course creation, and more!
Connect with Katie here:
In this episode we talk about:
- How crappy therapist websites are
- The desire to move beyond the therapist office
- What a “Therapreneur” is
- How to outgrow the old ideas of what therapists can be
- When therapists are pushed down for being “too big”
- Debunking the idea that therapists are shy and mousy
- What happens when you look beyond the office
- The problems most therapists make when writing the copy for your website
- The importance of using the clients’ language when describing clinical concerns
- The scourge of psychobabble, academic, or jargon language used in websites
- How to include your achievements and CV information on your website, if it is relevant for ideal client
- What therapists bring to the marketing game
- Why videos are important for your marketing
- How to use Motivational Interviewing to write your website
- The awful truth that we all respond to scarcity marketing
- The unique challenge for marketing therapy (without scarcity as a possibility)
- Where the marketing questions can go wrong
- The tendency of therapists to copy other therapists in their marketing and water down their voice
- Why so many people use Brene Brown quotes
- Designing your profile to speak to your ideal clients
- How to find your voice and the language you can use to speak to the clients you serve
- The importance of Niche for marketing, specialization, training, and efficacy
- The fear of turning away clients – and why that is short-sighted
- How to grow by niching down sufficiently for your area
Our Generous Sponsor:
Thanks again to our sponsor Katie Read! Katie helps therapists grow and then OUTgrow their practices. If you’re in GROW mode, she can help you grow faster by knowing exactly how to create your therapist website to get the most possible calls with her two courses, Client Machine and Website Whisperer! If you’re ready to OUTgrow your office, Katie helps clinicians know the exact right steps to add big extra income streams in coaching, consulting, or courses! Check out https://katieread.com for more information.
We’ve pulled together any resources mentioned in this episode and put together some handy-dandy links:
Client Machine Course (free course) – Click on freebies in the top right corner to sign up!
Relevant Podcast Episodes:
The Modern Therapists Group on Facebook
Who we are:
Curt Widhalm is a Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist in private practice in the Los Angeles area. He is a Board Member at Large for the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, a Subject Matter Expert for the California Board of Behavioral Sciences, Adjunct Faculty at Pepperdine University, and a loving husband and father. He is 1/2 great person, 1/2 provocateur, and 1/2 geek, in that order. He dabbles in the dark art of making “dad jokes” and usually has a half-empty cup of coffee somewhere nearby. Learn more about Curt at http://www.curtwidhalm.com.
Katie Vernoy is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, coach, and consultant. As a helping professional for two decades, she’s navigated the ups and downs of our unique line of work. She’s run her own solo therapy practice, designed innovative clinical programs, built and managed large, thriving teams of service providers, and consulted hundreds of helping professionals on how to build meaningful AND sustainable practices. In her spare time, Katie is secretly siphoning off Curt’s youthful energy, so that she can take over the world. Learn more about Katie at http://www.katievernoy.com.
A Quick Note:
Our opinions are our own. We are only speaking for ourselves – except when we speak for each other, or over each other. We’re working on it.
Our guests are also only speaking for themselves and have their own opinions. We aren’t trying to take their voice, and no one speaks for us either. Mostly because they don’t want to, but hey.
Stay in Touch:
Voice Over by DW McCann https://www.facebook.com/McCannDW/
Music by Crystal Grooms Mangano http://www.crystalmangano.com/
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
SPEAK YOUR MIND