Getting the Supervision You Want
It’s time to reimagine therapy and what it means to be a therapist. To support you as a whole person and a therapist, your hosts, Curt Widhalm and Katie Vernoy talk about how to approach the role of therapist in the modern age.
In this episode we talk about:
- Our fan mail!
- Conversations happening in the Modern Therapist’s Survival Guide Facebook Group
- How to find the best supervisor you can
- Questions to ask in an interview, to determine their supervision style, the personality fit, and their capabilities
- Common mistakes supervisors can make in both group and individual supervision
- The different aspects of supervision: Clinical, Administrative/Logistical, and Professional Development
- Goal-setting for both individual and group supervision
- Choosing a supervisor as well as making the best of supervision
- Speaking about the process in the supervision room
- The challenges related to the power differential
- Evaluation and space for feedback
- Getting live supervision
- Preparing for supervision
- Seeking outside supervision when you’re not getting what you need from your assigned supervisor
- What to settle for and what to advocate for
We’ve pulled together any resources mentioned in this episode and put together some handy-dandy links.
Other Episodes Mentioned:
Our events this year:
Who we are:
Curt Widhalm is a Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist in private practice in the Los Angeles area. He is a Board Member at Large for the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, a Subject Matter Expert for the California Board of Behavioral Sciences, Adjunct Faculty at Pepperdine University, and a loving husband and father. He is 1/2 great person, 1/2 provocateur, and 1/2 geek, in that order. He dabbles in the dark art of making “dad jokes” and usually has a half-empty cup of coffee somewhere nearby. Learn more at: http://www.curtwidhalm.com
Katie Vernoy is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, coach, and consultant. As a helping professional for two decades, she’s navigated the ups and downs of our unique line of work. She’s run her own solo therapy practice, designed innovative clinical programs, built and managed large, thriving teams of service providers, and consulted hundreds of helping professionals on how to build meaningful AND sustainable practices. In her spare time, Katie is secretly siphoning off Curt’s youthful energy, so that she can take over the world. Learn more at: http://www.katievernoy.com
A Quick Note:
Our opinions are our own. We are only speaking for ourselves – except when we speak for each other, or over each other. We’re working on it.
Our guests are also only speaking for themselves and have their own opinions. We aren’t trying to take their voice, and no one speaks for us either. Mostly because they don’t want to, but hey.
Stay in Touch:
Voice Over by DW McCann https://www.facebook.com/McCannDW/
Music by Crystal Grooms Mangano http://www.crystalmangano.com/