How Much is TOO Much?
It’s time to reimagine therapy and what it means to be a therapist. We are human beings who can now present ourselves as whole people, with authenticity, purpose, and connection. Especially now, when therapists must develop a personal brand to market their practices.
To support you as a whole person and a therapist, your hosts, Curt Widhalm and Katie Vernoy talk about how to approach the role of therapist in the modern age.
In this episode we talk about how much is TOO much:
- When and how to talk about politics and religion
- Authenticity versus poor boundaries
- Countertransference, here and now feelings, and following the client’s lead
- Remembering that clients don’t have to hold confidentiality for us
- How and when to pull back the curtain about why you’re using a specific intervention
- Processing (without over-processing) shifts in the relationships, personal disclosure, and human interactions
- When to maintain objectivity and when to share your perspective and emotions
- Understanding how your appearance affects your clients
We’ve pulled together any resources mentioned in this episode and put together some handy-dandy links. Please note that the link below is an affiliate link, so if you purchase after clicking below, we may get a little bit of cash in our pockets. We thank you in advance!
Who we are:
Curt Widhalm is a Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist in private practice in the Los Angeles area. He is a Board Member at Large for the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, a Subject Matter Expert for the California Board of Behavioral Sciences, Adjunct Faculty at Pepperdine University, and a loving husband and father. He is 1/2 great person, 1/2 provocateur, and 1/2 geek, in that order. He dabbles in the dark art of making “dad jokes” and usually has a half-empty cup of coffee somewhere nearby.
Katie Vernoy is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, coach, and consultant. As a helping professional for two decades, she’s navigated the ups and downs of our unique line of work. She’s run her own solo therapy practice, designed innovative clinical programs, built and managed large, thriving teams of service providers, and consulted hundreds of helping professionals on how to build meaningful AND sustainable practices. In her spare time, Katie is secretly siphoning off Curt’s youthful energy, so that she can take over the world.
A Quick Note:
Our opinions are our own. We are only speaking for ourselves – except when Katie is speaking for Curt.
Stay in Touch:
Voice Over by DW McCann https://www.facebook.com/McCannDW/
Music by Crystal Grooms Mangano http://www.crystalmangano.com/