Managing Your Online Reputation
It’s time to reimagine therapy and what it means to be a therapist. We are human beings who can now present ourselves as whole people, with authenticity, purpose, and connection. Especially now, when therapists must develop a personal brand to market their practices.
To support you as a whole person and a therapist, your hosts, Curt Widhalm and Katie Vernoy talk about how to approach the role of therapist in the modern age.
In this episode we talk about:
- How to proactively create a positive online reputation
- Managing Google – considering what people will find under your name
- Clinical mechanisms to get consistent feedback (and of course, Curt talks about Scott Miller)
- Claiming your profiles to track reviews and ensure accurate information
- How to professionally address negative feedback
- Making sure to do self-assessment when getting constructive criticism
- Managing One Star reviews on Yelp, Healthgrades, etc.
- Engaging appropriately in Therapist Facebook groups
- The Screenshot Test from TIPP
- The internet is forever and all of your interactions can potentially impact your online rep
We’ve pulled together any resources mentioned in this episode and put together some handy-dandy links.
APA (American Psychological Association) article: One-Star Therapy? by Jamie Chamberlain
CAMFT (California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists) article: You, Yelp, and Social Media by Alain Montgomery, JD (requires CAMFT member access)
Who we are:
Curt Widhalm is a Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist in private practice in the Los Angeles area. He is a Board Member at Large for the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, a Subject Matter Expert for the California Board of Behavioral Sciences, Adjunct Faculty at Pepperdine University, and a loving husband and father. He is 1/2 great person, 1/2 provocateur, and 1/2 geek, in that order. He dabbles in the dark art of making “dad jokes” and usually has a half-empty cup of coffee somewhere nearby. Learn more at: curtwidhalm.com.
Katie Vernoy is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, coach, and consultant. As a helping professional for two decades, she’s navigated the ups and downs of our unique line of work. She’s run her own solo therapy practice, designed innovative clinical programs, built and managed large, thriving teams of service providers, and consulted hundreds of helping professionals on how to build meaningful AND sustainable practices. In her spare time, Katie is secretly siphoning off Curt’s youthful energy, so that she can take over the world. Learn more at: katievernoy.com.
A Quick Note:
Our opinions are our own. We are only speaking for ourselves – except when we speak for each other, or over each other. We’re working on it.
Our guests are also only speaking for themselves and have their own opinions. We aren’t trying to take their voice, and no one speaks for us either. Mostly because they don’t want to, but hey.
Stay in Touch:
Voice Over by DW McCann https://www.facebook.com/McCannDW/
Music by Crystal Grooms Mangano http://www.crystalmangano.com/