SEO Guide for Therapists
An interview with Dr. Rachna Jain, of Profitable Popularity, talks with Curt and Katie about SEO best practices as well as things to consider when deciding what level of SEO to employ. We also look at how to proactively protect your online reputation and how to repair it.
It’s time to reimagine therapy and what it means to be a therapist. We are human beings who can now present ourselves as whole people, with authenticity, purpose, and connection. Especially now, when therapists must develop a personal brand to market their practices.
To support you as a whole person and a therapist, your hosts, Curt Widhalm and Katie Vernoy talk about how to approach the role of therapist in the modern age.
Interview with Dr. Rachna Jain
Dr. Rachna Jain is a clinical psychologist and internet marketing expert who helps service professionals attract new clients from the internet. Her company offers website design, search engine optimization, and other marketing support for therapists- whether they want to build a thriving local practice or a bigger, national platform.
Rachna has been quoted in more than 500 major media publications, including Fortune Small Business, Entrepreneur Magazine, The Washington Post, Chicago Tribune, has guested on NPR and other top radio, and has also appeared on NBC’s Today Show. The author of five books, she is additionally an avid jewelry artist and digital photographer. Her jewelry and photography have been sold nationally. She can be reached at ProfitablePopularity.com.
In this episode we talk about:
- How Rachna got into SEO
- The differences that need to be considered in creating an online presence when you’re a therapist versus other service-based businesses
- The importance of specialization
- How to decide whether you should do your own SEO
- The risk of getting a negative review and the importance of knowing what to monitor
- How SEO has changed, how the internet has changed
- The difference between organic and paid rankings, the current challenges in getting highly ranked organically
- Right-sizing your SEO efforts, setting reasonable expectations
- The reasons to avoid doing SEO when you’re a new business
- Why to get SEO: capacity, client retention capability, and high enough fee for ROI
- Things that positively impact ratings on google
- Pros and Cons of blogging
- Strategies for reputation management: Own your google results for your name
- Addressing Yelp (a high authority site)
- Reputation repair strategies
- Building profiles at least as place holders to manage reputation
- Where to invest money on online marketing (and where not to)
- The problem of the wrong visibility
- How much time to spend on SEO each week, decision-making on doing SEO or outsourcing
- When people can shift from looking locally to creating a larger platform (or aim toward thought leadership)
- What you need to launch a larger platform
Our Generous Sponsor: The Therapist Leader
The Therapist Leader was created to assist therapists developing their businesses beyond the one-to-one model in a strategic and sustainable way, using a three-pronged approach, Refine | Scale | Lead:
REFINE your practice in way that leverages your money, your time and your life in such a way that leaves room to grow your business idea.
Then SCALE your new business idea in a way that is aligned with your values, your lifestyle and tunes out the noise of a busy online world of get rich and overstated marketing promises.
And LEAD your business well. Leadership doesn’t have to be scary and leadership shows up in many ways in your business growth journey. Getting equipped is empowering and essential.
Get your free CEO Workbook and accompanying e-course at TheTherapistLeader.com which will walk you through 5 key shifts to make to grow the business of your dreams.
We’ve pulled together any resources mentioned in this episode and put together some handy-dandy links:
Rachna’s SEO company: Profitable Popularity
Kevin Kelly – A Thousand True Fans
Managing Your Online Reputation
Connect with us:
The Modern Therapists Group on Facebook
Get Notified About Therapy Reimagined 2020 (and TR2019 Virtual Conference)
Who we are:
Curt Widhalm is a Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist in private practice in the Los Angeles area. He is a Board Member at Large for the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, a Subject Matter Expert for the California Board of Behavioral Sciences, Adjunct Faculty at Pepperdine University, and a loving husband and father. He is 1/2 great person, 1/2 provocateur, and 1/2 geek, in that order. He dabbles in the dark art of making “dad jokes” and usually has a half-empty cup of coffee somewhere nearby. Learn more about Curt at http://www.curtwidhalm.com.
Katie Vernoy is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, coach, and consultant. As a helping professional for two decades, she’s navigated the ups and downs of our unique line of work. She’s run her own solo therapy practice, designed innovative clinical programs, built and managed large, thriving teams of service providers, and consulted hundreds of helping professionals on how to build meaningful AND sustainable practices. In her spare time, Katie is secretly siphoning off Curt’s youthful energy, so that she can take over the world. Learn more about Katie at http://www.katievernoy.com.
A Quick Note:
Our opinions are our own. We are only speaking for ourselves – except when we speak for each other, or over each other. We’re working on it.
Our guests are also only speaking for themselves and have their own opinions. We aren’t trying to take their voice, and no one speaks for us either. Mostly because they don’t want to, but hey.
Stay in Touch:
Voice Over by DW McCann https://www.facebook.com/McCannDW/
Music by Crystal Grooms Mangano http://www.crystalmangano.com/
SPEAK YOUR MIND