Take Action Like a BOSS
Curt and Katie talk about the difference between talking about what’s wrong and actually doing something about it. Katie shares her BOSS acronym for making decisions and taking action.
It’s time to reimagine therapy and what it means to be a therapist. To support you as a whole person and a therapist, your hosts, Curt Widhalm and Katie Vernoy talk about how to approach the role of therapist in the modern age.
In this episode we talk about:
- Taking action rather than just talking about what needs to change
- Identifying what you want to take action on
- Experimenting, finding what you’re motivated to actually do
- The big goals that we have pursued and continue to act on
- Making commitments to others can help move action forward
- Vision, goals, and connecting to like-minded people to accomplish goals
- Creating the structure to be able to accomplish big dreams
- The challenges in our profession that warrant consideration for taking action
- A call to action to think about the conversations you’re having and identify actionable steps for creating change
- Katie’s acronym for making decisions: BOSS (Bold Objective Selective Strategic)
- Finding your big bold vision
- Creating your personal mission statement
- Looking at logistics (time, energy, timing, etc.)
- Saying yes also means saying no
- Creating the plan – scheduling tasks, not creating a to do list
- The importance of structure and support
Our Generous Sponsor:
Thanks again to our sponsor, Grief Education!
How often do you avoid talking about death and bereavement with your clients? Don’t worry you’re not the only one. The fact is, every client will be impacted by grief at some point. You can be great at supporting them through it! Grief Education offers online classes where you’ll learn what current, validated research tells us about these experiences and you’ll practice talking about grief and death so you’ll be confident talking about it with your clients. Visit http://www.GriefEducation.com to learn more and register for classes.
We’ve pulled together resources mentioned in this episode and put together some handy-dandy links.
Therapy Reimagined 2019: Sign up here to get notified when the details are released.
Our consultation services:
Who we are:
Curt Widhalm is a Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist in private practice in the Los Angeles area. He is a Board Member at Large for the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, a Subject Matter Expert for the California Board of Behavioral Sciences, Adjunct Faculty at Pepperdine University, and a loving husband and father. He is 1/2 great person, 1/2 provocateur, and 1/2 geek, in that order. He dabbles in the dark art of making “dad jokes” and usually has a half-empty cup of coffee somewhere nearby. Learn more at: http://www.curtwidhalm.com
Katie Vernoy is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, coach, and consultant. As a helping professional for two decades, she’s navigated the ups and downs of our unique line of work. She’s run her own solo therapy practice, designed innovative clinical programs, built and managed large, thriving teams of service providers, and consulted hundreds of helping professionals on how to build meaningful AND sustainable practices. In her spare time, Katie is secretly siphoning off Curt’s youthful energy, so that she can take over the world. Learn more at: http://www.katievernoy.com
A Quick Note:
Our opinions are our own. We are only speaking for ourselves – except when we speak for each other, or over each other. We’re working on it.
Our guests are also only speaking for themselves and have their own opinions. We aren’t trying to take their voice, and no one speaks for us either. Mostly because they don’t want to, but hey.
Stay in Touch:
Voice Over by DW McCann https://www.facebook.com/McCannDW/
Music by Crystal Grooms Mangano http://www.crystalmangano.com/