Building the “Psyko Therapist” Brand, An Interview with Jax Anderson, LPC
It’s time to reimagine therapy and what it means to be a therapist. To support you as a whole person and a therapist, your hosts, Curt Widhalm and Katie Vernoy talk about how to approach the role of therapist in the modern age.
Interview with Jax Anderson, LPC
Jax Anderson is a licensed professional counselor and creator/owner of the brand The Psyko Therapist. Jax is a Disrupter, disrupting the status quo, offering alternative perspectives, teaching and training. Jax’s ‘why’ is to empower, motivate and inspire as many people as possible.
In this episode, we discuss branding for therapists:
- Embracing your own personal brand works when you own what you do
- Using video can be an effective way of promoting mental wellness
- Video has built therapeutic relationship prior to patients coming in for the first session
- Pulling in a lot of different identities works best when bringing it together with your passion
- Everyone has their own relationship with failure
- Livesteam failures and handling online trolls
- Therapists and other mental health professionals are the most critical of the crafted brand
- Advertise where people are: social media
- Humor eases anxieties around mental health issues
- Therapists underestimate the power of being themselves
- Being appropriately authentic
- Find your social support system to better yourself
We’ve pulled together any resources mentioned in this episode and put together some handy-dandy links.
Previous Episodes Mentioned:
Our events this year:
Who we are:
Curt Widhalm is a Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist in private practice in the Los Angeles area. He is the Chief Financial Officer for the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, a Subject Matter Expert for the California Board of Behavioral Sciences, Adjunct Faculty at Pepperdine University, and a loving husband and father. He is 1/2 great person, 1/2 provocateur, and 1/2 geek, in that order. He dabbles in the dark art of making “dad jokes” and usually has a half-empty cup of coffee somewhere nearby. Learn more at: http://www.curtwidhalm.com
Katie Vernoy is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, coach, and consultant. As a helping professional for two decades, she’s navigated the ups and downs of our unique line of work. She’s run her own solo therapy practice, designed innovative clinical programs, built and managed large, thriving teams of service providers, and consulted hundreds of helping professionals on how to build meaningful AND sustainable practices. In her spare time, Katie is secretly siphoning off Curt’s youthful energy, so that she can take over the world. Learn more at: http://www.katievernoy.com
A Quick Note:
Our opinions are our own. We are only speaking for ourselves – except when we speak for each other, or over each other. We’re working on it.
Our guests are also only speaking for themselves and have their own opinions. We aren’t trying to take their voice, and no one speaks for us either. Mostly because they don’t want to, but hey.
Stay in Touch:
Voice Over by DW McCann https://www.facebook.com/McCannDW/
Music by Crystal Grooms Mangano http://www.crystalmangano.com/