Investing in Yourself as an Entrepreneur
It’s time to reimagine therapy and what it means to be a therapist. We are human beings who can now present ourselves as whole people, with authenticity, purpose, and connection. Especially now, when therapists must develop a personal brand to market their practices.
To support you as a whole person and a therapist, your hosts, Curt Widhalm and Katie Vernoy talk about how to approach the role of therapist in the modern age.
Interview with Howard Spector
Howard Spector is the CEO and Co-Founder of SimplePractice. With over 20 years of experience in the industry, Howard has been involved with successful technology companies and has developed and established his first product, TrackYourHours. He has his MA in Counseling Psychology with an emphasis in Depth Psychology from the Pacifica Graduate Institute.
In this episode we talk about:
- Howard’s Story – how he went from a previous career to being a therapist to being a tech entrepreneur with TrackYourHours and SimplePractice
- Instinctual business decisions, trusting himself, pursuing your own why
- The perils of not trusting yourself or your gut
- Making decisions from the inside out (not letting society tell you what to do)
- Investing in yourself as a small business owner
- Ways to evolve your business, generating different streams of income
- Business practices needed to be successful in business
- Automation and delegation
- What should I be doing and what shouldn’t I be doing as a business owner
- The irony of therapists charging for time, but not valuing their time
- How scary it is to be a business owner and invest in something new
- Howard’s decision to not provide phone support for SimplePractice, for now
- Why it’s important to be honest about what you can provide in business
- What’s coming soon for SimplePractice
We’ve pulled together any resources mentioned in this episode and put together some handy-dandy links.
Who we are:
Curt Widhalm is a Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist in private practice in the Los Angeles area. He is a Board Member at Large for the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, a Subject Matter Expert for the California Board of Behavioral Sciences, Adjunct Faculty at Pepperdine University, and a loving husband and father. He is 1/2 great person, 1/2 provocateur, and 1/2 geek, in that order. He dabbles in the dark art of making “dad jokes” and usually has a half-empty cup of coffee somewhere nearby. Learn more about Curt at http://www.curtwidhalm.com.
Katie Vernoy is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, coach, and consultant. As a helping professional for two decades, she’s navigated the ups and downs of our unique line of work. She’s run her own solo therapy practice, designed innovative clinical programs, built and managed large, thriving teams of service providers, and consulted hundreds of helping professionals on how to build meaningful AND sustainable practices. In her spare time, Katie is secretly siphoning off Curt’s youthful energy, so that she can take over the world. Learn more about Katie at http://www.katievernoy.com.
A Quick Note:
Our opinions are our own. We are only speaking for ourselves – except when we speak for each other, or over each other. We’re working on it.
Our guests are also only speaking for themselves and have their own opinions. We aren’t trying to take their voice, and no one speaks for us either. Mostly because they don’t want to, but hey.
Stay in Touch:
Voice Over by DW McCann https://www.facebook.com/McCannDW/
Music by Crystal Grooms Mangano http://www.crystalmangano.com/