Curt and Katie talk about reimagining therapy, starting a #therapymovement, and pulling together a community to put on a conference
It’s time to reimagine therapy and what it means to be a therapist. To support you as a whole person and a therapist, your hosts, Curt Widhalm and Katie Vernoy talk about how to approach the role of therapist in the modern age.
In this episode we talk about:
- Curt’s love of Legos and the ensuing overuse of this metaphor to describe using building blocks to be creative
- This conference we’re putting on and why we named it Therapy Reimagined
- The building blocks that are the foundation of therapy, but how we can use them creatively
- The individual differences that have been growing the diversity of the profession
- Sacrificial Helping Syndrome (Katie’s concept about how clinicians can sacrifice their own well-being for the work)
- How the system isn’t working – it relies on us burning out
- Why advocacy is important for our profession
- The irony and sadness about us going into the profession to be a different therapist and then becoming the burned-out therapist
- What it means when we burn out: lack of resources, mental health stigma, poorer outcomes
- Creating an action plan for how you will improve the profession
- Why strong business practices are important for all of us
- Having a big idea and carrying it through
- The importance of diversity and our commitment to have diverse faculty and diverse ideas at Therapy Reimagined 2018
- How important it is to us to hear from you and develop this community around us for the #therapymovement
- How to join the community and the #therapymovement
- A secret message from Katie at the very end
We’ve pulled together resources mentioned in this episode and put together some handy-dandy links.
Katie’s article on Sacrificial Helping Syndrome
Katie’s writing about avoiding Sacrificial Helping Syndrome
Dr. Ben Caldwell with Ben Caldwell Labs
Mixing Modern Therapist live networking events – email us for info: firstname.lastname@example.org
The conversations happening in Our Facebook Group
Other Relevant Episodes:
Our Therapy Reimagined speakers on the podcast –
The Fight to Save Psychotherapy – Benjamin E. Caldwell
What Therapists Get Wrong – Paul Gilmartin
Social Media and Video Marketing for Therapists – Ernesto Segismundo Jr.
Make Your Paperwork Meaningful – Maelisa Hall
Be the CEO of your SEO – Perry Rosenbloom
Becoming a Group Practice Owner – Maureen Werrbach
Building Hope for the Next Generation of Therapists – Robin Andersen
Crafting Your Authentic Message – Mercedes Samudio
Our event this year:
The Therapy Reimagined Conference in Los Angeles in October 2018!!
Our new consultation services:
Who we are:
Curt Widhalm is a Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist in private practice in the Los Angeles area. He is a Board Member at Large for the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, a Subject Matter Expert for the California Board of Behavioral Sciences, Adjunct Faculty at Pepperdine University, and a loving husband and father. He is 1/2 great person, 1/2 provocateur, and 1/2 geek, in that order. He dabbles in the dark art of making “dad jokes” and usually has a half-empty cup of coffee somewhere nearby. Learn more at: http://www.curtwidhalm.com
Katie Vernoy is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, coach, and consultant. As a helping professional for two decades, she’s navigated the ups and downs of our unique line of work. She’s run her own solo therapy practice, designed innovative clinical programs, built and managed large, thriving teams of service providers, and consulted hundreds of helping professionals on how to build meaningful AND sustainable practices. In her spare time, Katie is secretly siphoning off Curt’s youthful energy, so that she can take over the world. Learn more at: http://www.katievernoy.com
A Quick Note:
Our opinions are our own. We are only speaking for ourselves – except when we speak for each other, or over each other. We’re working on it.
Our guests are also only speaking for themselves and have their own opinions. We aren’t trying to take their voice, and no one speaks for us either. Mostly because they don’t want to, but hey.
Stay in Touch:
Our Facebook Group – The Modern Therapist’s Survival Guide Group
Voice Over by DW McCann https://www.facebook.com/McCannDW/
Music by Crystal Grooms Mangano http://www.crystalmangano.com/
SPEAK YOUR MIND