Branding for Your Ideal Client
An interview with Kate Campbell, PhD, LMFT, and Katie Lemieux, LMFT from The Private Practice Startup. Curt and Katie talk with Kate and Katie about the differences between marketing and branding, what therapists should consider when developing their personal brand, and common mistakes therapists make.
It’s time to reimagine therapy and what it means to be a therapist. We are human beings who can now present ourselves as whole people, with authenticity, purpose, and connection. Especially now, when therapists must develop a personal brand to market their practices.
To support you as a whole person and a therapist, your hosts, Curt Widhalm and Katie Vernoy talk about how to approach the role of therapist in the modern age.
Interview with Kate and Katie from the Private Practice Startup
The Private Practice Startup is co-owned by Kate Campbell, PhD, LMFT and Katie Lemieux, LMFT. They’re two therapists with entrepreneurial spirits who are crazy about business, branding and marketing. They live, work and play in South Florida.
They both built their 6-Figure private practices in less than 2 years from the ground up and inspire other ambitious mental health professionals to brand themselves, grow their dream private practices and live into their dream lifestyles. They have a hunger for business, branding and marketing.
They love helping private practitioners work with the clients they love, profit more in business, and create the freedom to truly enjoy a lifestyle business.
Kate is a food and wine aficionado who loves to travel and create new memories with her husband and son. She also loves the beach, pilates, riding horses, concerts, and of course the occasional “retail therapy”.
Thanks to Kate, Katie is a wine snob in the making. Katie is an avid pitbull lover and has 2 of her own, she loves travel, new and fun adventures, reading, the ID channel, Halloween, sparkles, taking pictures, random silly things, family time and taking time to just be.
They are the creators of Private Practice Marketing E-Course and Coaching, provide FREE podcasts, and customizable Attorney Approved Private Practice Paperwork for therapists. Visit PrivatePracticeStartup.com for more info!
In this episode we talk about:
- The shear number of Kate/Katies that Curt had to deal with on the episode.
- The difference between marketing and branding
- The importance of marketing in developing a business
- Relationships, ownership as part of the branding process
- How to stand out, become distinctive
- What therapists should consider when developing a brand
- How your unique selling proposition relates to the development of your branding and marketing
- How therapists’ goals for their lifestyle and their individual picture impacts ideal client
- Niche and saying no to the clients who are not in your wheel house
- The challenge of being a generalist, fear of repelling too many clients
- Why you need to have a brand that clearly inspires your ideal clients
- The mistakes therapists often make in branding and connecting with your ideal clients
- Clear planning, following up, and tracking for your marketing
- Taking ownership of how you are perceived by your ideal clients
- How to get to the place of effective entrepreneur
- Using your skills and strengths to create your marketing plan
- How brands evolve, especially as you add businesses, business partners, side hustles, etc.
- How to become business partners and clarify how you work together
- The mission, values, and operations ties to the brand
- How your personal brand can be logistically experienced by the public (aka make sure you keep track of all of your websites)
We’ve pulled together any resources mentioned in this episode and put together some handy-dandy links. Please note that some of the links below are affiliate links, so if you purchase after clicking below, we may get a little bit of cash in our pockets. We thank you in advance!
Kate and Katie’s website = http://www.privatepracticestartup.com
The A to Z Cheatsheet: Essentials for Building and Growing Your Dream Private Practice – https://a-z-cheat-sheet-download.gr8.com/
Donald Miller – Building a StoryBrand: Clarify Your Message So Customers Will Listen
Jeff Walker – Launch: An Internet Millionaire’s Secret Formula to Sell Almost Anything Online, Build a Business You Love, and Live the Life of Your Dreams
Connect with us:
The Modern Therapists Group on Facebook
Get Notified About Therapy Reimagined 2020 (and TR2019 Virtual Conference)
Who we are:
Curt Widhalm is a Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist in private practice in the Los Angeles area. He is a Board Member at Large for the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, a Subject Matter Expert for the California Board of Behavioral Sciences, Adjunct Faculty at Pepperdine University, and a loving husband and father. He is 1/2 great person, 1/2 provocateur, and 1/2 geek, in that order. He dabbles in the dark art of making “dad jokes” and usually has a half-empty cup of coffee somewhere nearby. Learn more about Curt at http://www.curtwidhalm.com.
Katie Vernoy is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, coach, and consultant. As a helping professional for two decades, she’s navigated the ups and downs of our unique line of work. She’s run her own solo therapy practice, designed innovative clinical programs, built and managed large, thriving teams of service providers, and consulted hundreds of helping professionals on how to build meaningful AND sustainable practices. In her spare time, Katie is secretly siphoning off Curt’s youthful energy, so that she can take over the world. Learn more about Katie at http://www.katievernoy.com.
A Quick Note:
Our opinions are our own. We are only speaking for ourselves – except when we speak for each other, or over each other. We’re working on it.
Our guests are also only speaking for themselves and have their own opinions. We aren’t trying to take their voice, and no one speaks for us either. Mostly because they don’t want to, but hey.
Stay in Touch:
Voice Over by DW McCann https://www.facebook.com/McCannDW/
Music by Crystal Grooms Mangano http://www.crystalmangano.com/
SPEAK YOUR MIND