The Brand Called You
WE HEARD YOU AND WE’RE MOVING TO ONE EPISODE A WEEK!
ALSO… LISTEN TO THIS EPISODE NOW TO HEAR OUR SPECIAL COMMUNITY MEMBER CODE TO GET EXTENDED EARLY BIRD PRICING THROUGH FRIDAY 4/27/18 ON OUR LAW AND ETHICS WORKSHOP MAY 18TH, 2018!!
It’s time to reimagine therapy and what it means to be a therapist. To support you as a whole person and a therapist, your hosts, Curt Widhalm and Katie Vernoy talk about how to approach the role of therapist in the modern age.
In this episode we talk about:
- The definition of Personal Branding and what it means for therapists
- How to use your authentic voice
- How to identify how best to present yourself
- How you come across to others, especially to clients
- Answering the question, what do I offer?
- The danger of mimicking others
- Professional bios versus authentic connection
- Your professional persona
- Why it is important to really represent who you are as a therapist
- Ethical reasons to embrace your style (and communicate it well)
- How to take off the blank screen or blank slate, looking at the self-exploration that’s needed
- How our experiences and our values can impact treatment
- Relevant ethics codes related to choosing who you work with, embracing your skill set, and rejecting clients based on demographics
- What to put on your website
- How fear can get in the way of effectively reaching your clients
- How personal branding is the antidote to being “too niched.”
We’ve pulled together any resources mentioned in this episode and put together some handy-dandy links. Please note that some of the links below are affiliate links, so if you purchase after clicking below, we may get a little bit of cash in our pockets. We thank you in advance!
Saving Psychotherapy by Benjamin E. Caldwell
Other Episodes Mentioned:
Our events this year:
Who we are:
Curt Widhalm is a Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist in private practice in the Los Angeles area. He is a Board Member at Large for the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, a Subject Matter Expert for the California Board of Behavioral Sciences, Adjunct Faculty at Pepperdine University, and a loving husband and father. He is 1/2 great person, 1/2 provocateur, and 1/2 geek, in that order. He dabbles in the dark art of making “dad jokes” and usually has a half-empty cup of coffee somewhere nearby. Learn more at: http://www.curtwidhalm.com
Katie Vernoy is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, coach, and consultant. As a helping professional for two decades, she’s navigated the ups and downs of our unique line of work. She’s run her own solo therapy practice, designed innovative clinical programs, built and managed large, thriving teams of service providers, and consulted hundreds of helping professionals on how to build meaningful AND sustainable practices. In her spare time, Katie is secretly siphoning off Curt’s youthful energy, so that she can take over the world. Learn more at: http://www.katievernoy.com
A Quick Note:
Our opinions are our own. We are only speaking for ourselves – except when we speak for each other, or over each other. We’re working on it.
Our guests are also only speaking for themselves and have their own opinions. We aren’t trying to take their voice, and no one speaks for us either. Mostly because they don’t want to, but hey.
Stay in Touch:
Voice Over by DW McCann https://www.facebook.com/McCannDW/
Music by Crystal Grooms Mangano http://www.crystalmangano.com/